Ways to resolve problems such as pay disputes

This article is targeted at the consumer/homeowner, however as a tradesperson it’s good to know how MBIE is suggesting they handle disputes, plus it’s a handy directory for you also.

For the Homeowner sourced from www.consumerprotection.govt.nz

Who do I go to?

Who to go to varies according to the type of tradesperson. Find out more about resolving disputes with:

To resolve payment disputes for residential building work, you can use a separate dispute resolution process, under the Construction Contracts Act. Read Hiring a builder for more information.

The Disputes Tribunal OR the District Court(external link) to make a claim if you are unable to resolve the complaint.

The Commerce Commission(external link) if you wish to report a business for false or misleading statements or conduct.

The Privacy Commissioner(external link) if you believe a tradesperson has interfered with your privacy.

What kind of problems do they handle?

The Disputes Tribunal deals with claims up to $15,000 (or $20,000 if both parties agree). The District Court deals with claims over $15,000.

What do I need to do?

  1. Contact the tradesperson to make a complaint.
  2. If you are not able to resolve the dispute, contact their licensing organisation and follow their complaints process.
  3. You may also wish to make a claim to the Disputes Tribunal or District Court. Find out more about Going to the Dispute Tribunal.

Read more HERE