The information below provides answers to questions you may have about essential business for building and construction sector (as at 25 March).
This is a very fast-moving situation with information being updated regularly. We will provide additional information as it becomes available.
Q: What is an essential service/business
The covid19 website has the latest definition. For building and construction sector it means:
The current definition of an essential business for the building and construction sector from the COVID-19 Website is:
- Any entity involved in building and construction related to essential services and critical infrastructure
- Any entity involved in building and construction required immediately to maintain human health and safety at home or work
- Any entity that performs or is involved in building and resource consenting necessary for the above purposes.
To further clarify this definition, an essential business is:
- Any entity or occupation involved in the supply of electricity, gas, water, waste water (sanitation), or
- Any entity or occupation involved in building and construction required immediately to maintain human health and safety at home or work
- Any entity that has regulatory responsibilities in relation to building consenting and compliance and resource consenting necessary for the above purposes.
Note: most building work required urgently for the purposes of maintaining human health and safety will not require a consent.
Please check the Government’s official Covid-19 website as this may change frequently.